I made some really pretty sugar cookies the other day. They were for the 69th birthday of my client’s mom. She loves gold, pink, and teal.
I really love making sugar cookies. It was one of the first things I learned when I was starting out. Even before I started baking and decorating cakes, I was already practicing on sugar cookies
I want to share my passion in making sugar cookies with you, but to be honest, they are difficult to make. The weather, especially here in the Philippines, plays a big part in your success in making a sugar cookie. That’s why decorating them is a more intricate and challenging process. So why bother with them at all?
Why should you learn making decorated sugar cookies?
Here are my reasons:
(1) The possibilities are endless with sugar cookies. It’s so versatile that you can decorate it any way you want. A simple round shaped cookie can be decorated in several ways, such as the ones I’ve made:
(2) You can use royal icing, or in my case Wilton color flow, and fondant in decorating your cookies. This gives you flexibility in incorporating techniques and design elements.
(3) Sugar cookies are perfect souvenirs. Small inedible knick-knacks that are given away during weddings or birthdays are a thing of the past. After the event they are mostly put away and forgotten. Why not give your guests these yummy and pretty decorated sugar cookies? They can be customized to fit the event’s theme, plus they don’t spoil easily (my recipe lasts for 2 to 3 weeks). Your guests will definitely enjoy them.
(4) I think sometimes cupcakes are boring. They are too mainstream right now. Everyone’s making them, so why not try something else that’s different but definitely delicious and eye-catching? Sugar cookies are fun and unique.
(5) Looking for a new activity for kids? Try cookie decorating! It’s not as messy as having kids decorate cupcakes, but they’ll have the same amount of fun! Here are some photos of a cookie decorating activity I had with some kids and toddlers last October 2014.
Are you convinced to try sugar cookies now? If you are, watch out for my next post where I will discuss the basics of sugar cookies.